Saturday, April 22, 2006

Week 1: Yellow and Hungry

Well, I think baby Izani is making great progress for a week old baby, despite the fact that he was jaundiced.
He had opened his eyes on the first day. Ever since then, I noticed that after every feed, he would allocate about 10 to 15 minutes to exploring his environment. His eyes would dart here and there and he would even turn his head left and right trying to look at things.
Of course, he can't focus yet, so he's probably just seeing blobs of color and is looking at the outlines of people. I talk and smile to him anyway.
His eyes actually look a little grey, but I can't really tell... maybe it's just wishful thinking. And maybe it'd change color as he gets older.
Taufik puts Izani on the baby mattress by the window every morning so that the baby can absorb the morning sun rays, coz he's afraid if Izani'll get jaundiced again. I really hope not, and so far, he looks like he has recovered. We'll know more when we go see the paediatrician on Monday/Tuesday.

Izani is drinking a lot! I would breastfeed him for awhile, until I felt 'relieved' or his mouth would go slack and he would stop sucking. He'd let go of my nipple and just lie there in my arms, his head slightly tilted back, mouth slightly agape, and he'd be panting and look tired but sated. He'd nap for awhile, then he'd wake up asking for more.
Sometimes I'd give him breastmilk, but sometimes I don't feel like torturing my sore nipples so I would give him the bottle. *hangs head in shame*. But I find that when he drinks from the bottle, he is fuller and would sleep longer.. which gives me the opportunity to make the bed, cook, blog or SLEEP. tee hee.


Picture taken this morning, after bath. Ignore the messy background, please.

No comments: