Saturday, May 27, 2006

Week 6 : Out and about

Izani has been out and about more nowadays.
So I have utilized all sorts of 'modes of transportation' for him.



There's the natural 'hand-carry', which I prefer to use around the house. When he was a few weeks old, I could carry him around with one hand, but now that he's 5kgs+, I have to use both hands.
Sometimes I put him over my shoulder when he's a little bit cranky due to gas. It's not unusual to hear him belch out a big one while I'm doing this. More often than not, he would also suprise me with something warm and runny sliding down my back.. *eyewww*.



If we're travelling in the car to someone's house and especially if the travel is long-distance, of course the best method is to use the carseat.
The other day I was invited over to Sharlee's house. I put the car seat (with him in it, of course) on the bus on the way over, then also on the taxi on the way back. He stayed in the car seat for most parts of the visit coz he was sleeping sleeping sleeping. It wasn't as much of hassle to carry as I thought it would be.
Furthermore, it is SAFE! (make sure you've buckled the baby in properly though, coz or else, it'd be useless).



If we're going somewhere which requires a lot of walking, then we take the stroller along. When we went to the mall, we attach the carseat to the stroller and push him around like that. That way I don't have take him out of the carseat and risk waking him up. The stroller would also hold our shopping, of course.. tee hee!
When we're walking around our housing compound though, we just put him directly in the stroller. Usually he would doze off, but sometimes he would be awake and he'd look around. Anis likes to walk beside the stroller when I push him so that she can keep an eye on him.



Last but not least, we have the baby carrier.
This is very useful when I'm going somewhere where the 'terrain' is not stroller friendly and/or I'm going without Taufik, who usually carries and folds/unfolds the stroller for me.
The one that I have is suprisingly very comfortable. I wore it when we went to watch Ihsan's shadow puppet show in school the other day, and as usual, Izani slept through out the whole thing.
Walking about with him in the carrier was not a problem and I like not having to worry about wheels getting caught and whether I could fit through doorways. When we walked outside, I would put a thin blanket to protect Izani from the sun, and passers-by would often stop and ask "Is there a baby under there?".
I also like the extra bit of 'exercise' it gives me :)
Here's a link to what my baby-carrier looks like: Mothercare 3-way carrier

So there you go, the different methods of carrying your baby around when you're out and about.




Note:
I know it seems like we spent lots of money on these 'gadgets', but the car-seat and stroller was bought as one 'travel-system' second-hand from one of the other Melayus whose daughter has outgrown it, the baby carrier was a baby-gift from a friend, and my hands were gifts from God. :)

No comments: